Be a part of a dynamic group of exhibitors | Reinforce your international corporate identity | Assess regional challenges and opportunities at defense, homeland security and cyber security | Communicate with potential clients | Increase your visibility and explore new collaborations
Join us in the USA Pavilion at DEFEA – Defence Exhibition Athens
President, American-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce
Geoffrey R. Pyatt
U.S. Ambassador to Greece
Dear Defense Industry Executive,
It is with great pleasure to invite you to participate at the USA Pavilion at DEFEA – Defence Exhibition Athens, a unique exhibition that will bring together the leaders of the defense and security industries in Greece.
Leading American defense companies will have the opportunity to join the USA Pavilion at DEFEA, a high-profile international defense and security exhibition guaranteeing exhibitors’ maximum exposure, highest visibility and unparalleled access to partners and customers. The USA Pavilion will be the meeting point for the defense & security industry professionals, providing a platform for networking and exchanging ideas on joint ventures and formation of partnerships, as well as to come into direct contact with key decision makers of the defense and security markets internationally.
Designed to provide upgraded means of communication between exhibitors and official visitors for productive contacts, USA Pavilion will ensure the most efficient and effective use of exhibitors΄ time and promotional budget. The latest in American technology, incorporated in state-of-the-art equipment and services for the defense and security industries will be displayed.
We are looking forward to welcoming you to Athens!
Dear Defense Industry Executive,
It is our great pleasure to inform you that the American-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce with the full support of the Embassy of the United States of America will organize the Official USA Pavilion at the 1st DEFEA – Defense Exhibition Athens to be held May 11-13, 2021 at Metropolitan Expo Centre (next to Athens International Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos” in Greece.
DEFEA will attract local and international exhibitors and visitors to a unique exhibition organized by Rota S.A. under the auspices of the Hellenic Ministry of National Defense and the General Directorate of Defense Investments & Armaments (GDDIA), with the support of the Hellenic Manufacturers of Defense & Security Material Association (SEKPY).
In May 2021, American defense companies will have the opportunity to join the USA Pavilion at DEFEA, a high-profile international defense and security exhibition guaranteeing exhibitors’ maximum exposure, highest visibility and unparalleled access to partners and customers. The USA Pavilion will be the meeting point for defense and security industry professionals, providing a platform for networking and exchanging ideas on joint ventures and formation of partnerships, as well as to come into direct contact with key decision makers of the defense and security markets internationally.
We hope you will join our efforts to promote the best of American defense technology, expand your international presence and build strategic alliances.
More information can be found at www.usadefea.gr or by contacting the American – Hellenic Chamber of Commerce.
USA PAVILION Organizers & Supporters
The American-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce will organize, with the full support of the Embassy of the United States of America and in association with AUSA (Association of the United States Army) Hellenic Chapter, the USA Pavilion at DEFEA, a unique exhibition organized by Rota S.A., a leading exhibition organizer, under the auspices of the Hellenic Ministry of National Defence and the General Directorate of Defence Investments & Armaments (GDDIA), with the support of the Hellenic Manufacturers of Defense & Security Material Association (SEKPY).
American – Hellenic Chamber of Commerce
The American-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce was established in 1932 and is one of the largest, most active and dynamic American Chambers in Europe. Virtually all American companies that do business in Greece and Greek companies that engage in trade with the United States are members of the Chamber. The Chamber’s membership is comprised of some one-thousand companies that seek to expand business horizons, create new business partnerships, and take advantage of trade and investment opportunities in today’s global economy. The Chamber promotes economic and business relations between the United States and Greece. It is a wholly autonomous, not-for-profit organization and receives no subsidy from any government body. The American-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce is an active member of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington D.C. and the European Council of American Chambers of Commerce.
FCS, US Embassy Athens
The U.S. Commercial Service, (USCS), at the U.S. Embassy in Athens, promotes the sale of U.S. products, equipment, services and technology to the Greek market and assists U.S. companies in identifying qualified Greek partners, agents and distributors. It also offers the following services to Greek businesses: business counseling on importing from the U.S.A.; promotion for local agents/distributors of U.S. products, equipment, services and technology that they represent and advocacy on behalf of U.S. firms pursuing business in Greece. SelectUSA is also a big element of our work, promoting foreign direct investment in the United States. https://2016.export.gov/greece/
AUSA Hellenic Chapter
The Hellenic Chapter of AUSA is a non-profit organization established in October 2017 and is part of the European Chapter of AUSA . It includes the territories of both Greece and Cyprus. It aims to promote the cohesion and cooperation of those individuals and corporations who value the Armed Forces and Coast Guard in Greece and in Cyprus. The intent is to support the active and former service members and their institutions in solidarity with and under the framework of the Association of the United States Army (AUSA) providing an opportunity to network and build relationships with others, including NATO and other allies, who share these common interests.
DEFEA | The Exhibition
DEFEA which will be held May 11-13, 2021 at Metropolitan Expo Centre (next to Athens Int’l Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos”) in Athens, Greece aims to continue the long tradition of successful defense and security events and reposition Greece on the international defence exhibitions map.
DEFEA 2021 AT A GLANCE – A Landmark Event
DEFEA is a high-profile international exhibition where leading international companies will present land, sea, air and national security defence systems to a highly specialized audience from the Greek and international community. DEFEA will host International Pavilions with the participation of leading global companies from the associated sectors.
THE DEFENSE AND SECURITY WORLD UNDER ONE ROOF
A unique exhibition that brings together the leaders of the defense and security industry; from manufacturers to distributors, CEOs to dealers, buyers and sellers to international decision makers and professionals in the field worldwide. Whether you’re interested in business opportunities or in the latest technological developments, there is no better opportunity to reach these busy professionals.
TARGETED ATTENDANCE PROMOTION
ROTA’s experience in creating top notch exhibitions in Greece, guarantees highly qualified professional attendance. DEFEA 2021 attendance, targeted throughout direct mail, advertisements and relationships within industry vertical publications and alliances with top associations and organizations within the defense and security field, will bring you the most qualified audience in Greece and the wider region.
BENEFITS FOR EXHIBIT AT DEFEA 2021
- DEFEA MARKS THE RETURN OF GREECE TO THE INTERNATIONAL MAP OF DEFENSE AND SECURITY EXHIBITIONS
- MEET EXISTING AND NEW / DISTRIBUTORS
- RAISE AWARNESS OF YOUR COMPANY AND PROMOTE NEW PRODUCTS
- DISPLAY YOUR COMPANY’S FULL CAPABILITIES
- ACCESS EMERGING MARKETS IN THE WIDER REGION OF SE EUROPE
- DIRECTLY CONTACT WITH SENIOR MILITARY AND INDUSTRIAL LEADERS FOR GREECE, SE EUROPE AND OTHER COUNTRIES THROUGH AN EFFICIENT GOVERNMENTAL & ARMED FORCES DELEGATIONS VISITING PROGRAM
- PARTICIPATE AT A VARIETY OF NETWORKING – ADDED VALUE ORIENTED EVENS
- BECOME INFORMED OF DEVELOPMENTS AND GAIN INSIGHTS INTO THE CURRENT TRENDS IN THE WIDER SE EUROPE
Prominent media representatives will be invited to the exhibition and will provide exhibitors with valuable publicity. The organizers will collaborate closely with media to ensure the fullest possible dissemination of important announcements.
DEFEA in numbers
INVITED BY THE HELLENIC MINISTRY
OF NATIONAL DEFENCE
ALL OVER THE WORLD
Top Reasons to Join the USA Pavilion at DEFEA 2021
ENJOY PREMIUM NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES FACILITED BY THE AMERICAN-HELLENIC CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
- EMPHASIS IN CYBERSECURITY – Cyber Pavilion
- FOCUS ON INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES – Innovative Technologies Zone
- DEDICATED SECURITY SYSTEMS & SERVICES AREA – Security Systems & Services Zone
- ROBUST OPPORTUNITIES FOR COMPANIES OF ALL SIZES – Small to Medium Manufacturers Zone
- PARTICIPATE IN TARGETED B2B MEETINGS WITH HIGH LEVEL PROFESSIONALS FROM GREECE AND THE WIDER REGION
ENJOY THE VARIETY OF SPECIAL SERVICES OFFERED FOR THE USA Pavilion EXHIBITORS
- Pre-exhibition Business Breakfast Briefing
- USA Pavilion Inauguration Ceremony
- USA Pavilion Official Reception
- Uniform Customized Exhibition Stands (except bare floor participations)
- USA Pavilion Secretarial Support & Information Area
- USA Pavilion Exhibitors’ Lounge
- USA Pavilion V.I.P. and Meeting Room
- Foreign Delegations Welcoming Committee
- Potential to organize special seminars/workshops during the exhibition
- Complete reference of your company at the USA Pavilion catalogue
- Participation at targeted press briefings for maximum media exposure
Why U.S. firms should participate in DEFEA
DEFEA is a unique and compellingly relevant exhibition
- DEFEA is the first international exhibition of this magnitude in the Southeast Europe-Eastern Mediterranean region (SEEM) and the first defense industry show in Athens since Defendory 2008.
- It is the first defense exhibition since the discovery of large natural gas reserves in Cyprus, Greece, Egypt and Israel that prompted the establishment of the East Mediterranean Gas Forum and created a need for extra security and protection in the region.
- It is organized at a timeframe when Greece announced major arms purchases with “six emblematic decisions that multiply the power, functionality and effectiveness of Greek weapons” as the Greek PM K. Mitsotakis stated. According to the Greek Prime Minister these decisions answers to major challenges faced nowadays while at the same time constitute movements with a growth sign, as they mobilize the national defense industry.
1. The Hellenic Air Force will immediately acquire a squadron of 18 Rafale fighter jets that will replace older Mirage 2000 fighters. As the Greek PM said these are fourth generation superior aircraft that will strengthen Greek deterrent power in combination with the F-16 upgrading program which is already in force.
2. The Hellenic Navy is launching the process for the procurement of four new multi-role frigates, while at the same time, it will modernize and upgrade four existing MEKO frigates. Mr Mitsotakis left open, what these ships will be, and several countries are looking at the tender for their own shipyards, or design bureaus. The new ships will also be accompanied by four MH-60R (Romeo) naval helicopters.
3. The arsenal of the three branches is being enriched as a whole. New anti-tank weapons are immediately provided for the Army, new heavy-duty torpedoes for the Navy. New guided missiles for the Air Force. The doctrine is every weapon system will be active throughout its lifespan, as it should and where it is needed.
4. Mr. Mitsotakis also announced the recruitment of 15,000 men and women for an initial five-year period. At the same time, the whole framework of military service and training is being re-evaluated, so that recruits can acquire certified skills for free.
5. The re-activation of Greek defense industry was also announced. Already in the Elefsina shipyards American funds are being invested in their modernization. A strategic investor will soon enter the Scaramanga shipyards, maintaining jobs there, according to Mr Mitsotakis. The tender process was completed, the privatization of ELVO was completed in the immediate future and the Hellenic Aerospace Industry was reorganized, in order to be transformed into an aircraft maintenance center for the wider area.
6. The Armed Forces are enhancing their digital operations, as well as their protection against hybrid-type cyber-attacks. At each of their operational levels, modern systems are installed that ensure a secure flow of information and therefore timely mobilization.
- Greece has emerged as a key ally in US/NATO Security cooperation, particularly given the neighborhood to the East and South. The country maintains strong trilateral alliances with key powers across the Eastern Mediterranean — with Cyprus and Israel, with Egypt and Cyprus, and with Israel and the U.S. — and an updated Mutual Defense Cooperation Agreement (MDCA) between the United States and Greece has been in place since January 2020. UAVs and additional SF are permanently based in Greece, and NSA Souda is over 100% capacity for US/NATO.
- There is considerable Congressional and National interest in the Mediterranean: In December 2019, Congress passed S.1102, the Eastern Mediterranean Security and Energy Partnership Act of 2019, which was subsequently brought into H.R.1865, the Further Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2020, and enacted and signed by President Trump on December 20, 2019. The Act includes several important provisions:
i. It ends the prohibition on arms sales to the Republic of Cyprus (held since 1974).
ii. It allows for the establishment of a United States-Eastern Mediterranean Energy Center to facilitate energy cooperation among the United States, Israel, Greece, and Cyprus.
iii. It authorizes Foreign Military Financing (FMF) assistance for Greece.
iv. It authorizes increased International Military Education and Training (IMET) assistance for Greece.
v. It requires the Administration to submit to Congress a strategy on enhanced security and energy cooperation with countries in the Eastern Mediterranean as well as reports on malign activities from other countries.
What U.S. firms can gain from taking part in DEFEA
DEFEA is a remarkable opportunity to gain insights and access to national and regional markets
- Gain access to the emerging markets of Southeast Europe and the Balkans.
- Learn about the latest developments and gain insights into current requirements in the region.
- Enjoy direct access to senior military and industrial leaders from Greece, Southeast Europe and other countries through an excellent governmental and armed forces delegations’ visiting program.
- Meet with existing and new distributors.
- Take part in a variety of networking and added value oriented events.
- Raise awareness of your company and promote new products.
- Showcase your company’s full capabilities to key decisionmakers from across the region.
Seminars & Events
Friday, September 7, 2018
12:00 am to 11:59 pm | CITY OF THESSALONIKI
American Art Everywhere: Bringing American Masterpieces to the City of Thessaloniki
12:00 pm to 6:30 pm | THE MET HOTEL
Southeast Europe Energy Forum
8:00 pm to 11:00 pm | HYATT REGENCY THESSALONIKI
Gala Reception for USA Honored Country
Saturday, September 8, 2018
10:00 am to 12:00 pm | US PAVILLION
Official Inauguration of USA Pavilion & Tour by GR and US Officials
12:00 pm to 1:30 pm | BOARD OF DIRECTORS HALL
Senior Leadership Roundtable Discussion
2:00 pm to 4:00 pm | USA Pavilion - THE STAGE
Re-Imagine Greece: Unveiling the Impact of Digital Skills to Empower our Country Unlock its True Potential
4:00 pm to 5:00 pm | USA Pavilion - THE STAGE
Country Digital Acceleration | Digital Transformation in Action @ Greece